After spending some dearly devoted time planning for this week, I have thought about some of the things I've tried with my classroom that at the time was a GREAT idea, but later it A) never developed, B) changed into a different idea, or C) failed miserably.
For instance, I thought that making Mountain Math and Mountain Language packets out of construction paper and notebook paper was a fantastic idea. Um, until it wasn't. I did not tell them how to organize their problems, thus some students wasted a lot of pages or did not use the backs of pages. The construction paper became rag-tastic and worn.
That's the thing about being a novice teacher. You never truly know how an idea will prosper until you try it out.
Some great ideas that have not yet failed include:
-One Take Wednesdays for Writing: students are given a writing prompt and they have 25 minutes to write 3 paragraphs. They only get one opportunity to write without the help of their peers, me, or a dictionary.
-Reading selection testing on the computer: I have my students take their weekly selection test on the computer, which was initially a way for me to save paper. However, I noticed that students had the opportunity to practice computer skills and testing on a computer monitor. As our school system takes on more tests for students on the computer, I think this was, and still is, a fantastic way to have students get used to typing, clicking the correct links, and become more experienced with technology.
-Seating arrangements: I've changed my students' seating arrangements for the 2nd semester. It has gone from a large u-shape to small group u's with 5-6 students in each table group. I like this more because of the readiness to do group or partner work.
What if all those things were just ideas in my head that never truly developed? What if I just hid it in my little head? What if I just "repinned" it without actually doing it in my classroom? Then I also began thinking of bigger circumstances/situations, that if fate would have it could make it happen. What would I do?...
What if I was teaching kindergarten? How would my perspective on teaching change? Or would it change?
What if I was teaching in a different school district? What would my team be like? Would I still be putting in as much extra time as I do now?
What if I had not found a job last year? What would I currently be doing? Would I be satisfied being a substitute teacher? Would I pursue another career?
What if I did not pursue teaching at all? Would I still be living in this state? Where would I be living?
What if I was in a serious relationship? How would that change my perspective on teaching? What if I had to move somewhere else for this person?
What if I never worked at a school with so many co-workers my age? What if I never had anyone to hang out with on the weekends?
What if my kids did not have state testing in April? What if they did not have all these common assessments and benchmarks to complete? How would my instruction differ? How would their perspective on third grade change?
There are many times that my mind still boggles around the fact that this is my life. Yes, I would love to change many things. But I like what I'm doing, who I am, and who I have surrounded myself with. I'm not the best third grade teacher, but I give my best every day for these kids. Regardless of these "what if's" and whether or not they ever come true, I am thankful for all that God has provided.


No comments:
Post a Comment