January 8, 2012

Another teaching myth exposed.

Myth: Teachers only go to school five days a week.

Fact: Many teachers go to school their required five days a week AND weekends if needed.

For me, weekends in the classroom are needed. Today I was at school for eight hours doing a number of things to get ready for the first full week back. Report cards-done. This week's plans-done. Organizing reading group activities-done. Parent volunteer tasks for the week-done. Filing student paperwork-done. Various powerpoints-done. Copies-done. Making labels for random things-done.

For those non-teachers out there, it may seem like all these things would not take eight non-stop hours, but oh, buddy, you're wrong. I needed this day to get ready for this week. I woke up this morning feeling like I needed to get organized for the second semester of this year. And organize I did! I spent a good hour re-organizing students' portfolios. Each student in my homeroom has a portfolio organized by: work samples, writing samples, AR stats, and progress reports/report cards. I also have separate portfolios for my reading and math classes. This makes a total of 63 portfolios.

Maybe it's because I've been on Winter Break for so long or because it's a new year, but I really enjoyed working in my room today, even if it was on a Sunday!

This week, I'm excited about incorporating at least three Pinterest-inspired activities:

1) "If I were trapped in a snowglobe..." writing activity. Students must write about their adventures in a snowglobe with a beginning, middle, and end (at least three paragraphs). My students were pumped about this writing prompt! I used the Pixar short "Knick Knack" to introduce this writing prompt. My students were working on their 1st/2nd drafts as of Friday, so hopefully they will turn out something like this:
2) Sequencing is our reading skill this week. How fitting to have students sequence how to build a snowman in mid-January!


3) In science, we are learning about physical changes. You've probably seen the following pin already. We are going to make this canvas together to show how a solid can change into a liquid when heated enough.

Wishing everyone a great start to the week! 'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers