December 29, 2011

Work hard, play hard, rest A LOT. And bye-bye 2011!

Hi friends! I am in week two of winter break, and I have finally gotten myself out of my lazy-sleep-a-lot slump. In fact a couple days ago I had my school TEs and scope and sequence out in front of me! Yes, I know what you're probably thinking. Before you even go into the land of "this girl never stops...she needs to rest," trust me I have. I learned to find my restful/calm side recently...

About a month ago I got sick with a really bad cold. I don't often get sick, but when I do it's usually horrid. Also, I am a big stinkin' wimp when I'm sick. Seriously. Anyway, the cold went away, but an ugly cough came into the picture. I DayQuil-ed my way through it, thinking it will pass. But this cough came with major phlegm, and I felt uncomfortable with it. I went to the clinic doctor, he gave me some antibiotics. Guess what? I told you that when I get sick it's horrible. The cough persisted, I went to the doc again, he gave me other antibiotics...and again, the cough didn't get better. Long story short, I've been to the doctor four times in the past month.

My wonderful doc said I had viral bronchitis, and the meds may have helped some, but not completely. I have a post-viral cough now, which means all I can do now is take Delsym, a steroid inhaler every now and then, and some cough drops. The cough has definitely gone down a lot compared to the past two weeks.

Lesson there? Rest when you need to rest. Even when your body and mind is running a marathon. I wasn't necessarily oblivious to the fact that I had been a busybody last month and this month. However, with all the things that come along with third grade midterms and holiday stuff, I just could not stop. At least my mind said I could not stop. My body was saying something different though.

This break has been a very restful one. A very worrisome one as well because when I'm sick that's what I do. To get my mind off of it, I prayed for the peace of God to surround me. It's something so simple, yet I take it for granted sometimes.

Through this cough junk, I've also learned 1) how much I need to rely on God, 2) how the peace of God is always ALWAYS with me through anything and everything, 3) happiness is in the little things, and 4) I need to stay calm more often.

I'm not 100% better, but I am feeling tons healthier than how I was two or three weeks ago. In addition to catching up on TV shows (Ellen, Criminal Minds, and Modern Family), Pinterest (my pins doubling in the past week and a half), and sleep (waking up after the sun has risen is usually a rare occurrence with school), I had a chance to build a 9-cube organizer shelf and paint a new canvas for my bedroom!
Finally a cozy place for some of my favorite books. Put this shelf together myself! Yes, you do see Harry Potter there.

It's been a lovely year!

Bedroom love!

I also snagged some great Target post-Christmas deals! Loaded up on next year's Christmas cards for sure. Two in particular deals for my classroom next year are:
Felt Christmas tree ornaments. 3/$1 + 50% off = $3.50 for 21 ornaments!

Holiday window gel clings $2 each + 50% off = $3 for 3!

I am excited, content, and hopeful about this new year that is soon approaching! Things I learned from 2011:
1. I'm a workaholic.
2. I had the best summer yet.
3. God is faithful.
4. A teacher can get to school at 6AM, not leave her classroom until 7PM, go to bed at 9PM after scarfing down "dinner," and do it all over again the next day, the next day...
5. Being a teacher is unlike any other profession.
6. I have a great support system of family, friends, and colleagues.
7. I over-examine almost every situation.
8. I have new-found addictions for Pinterest, "Modern Family," and Target.
9. Through setting up a wireless router, buying an iPhone, buying a nice flat screen TV, maintaining a blog, and maintaining a classroom website, I am more tech-savvy than ever.
10. Being a "grown-up" is scary. But good-scary.

I don't really understand "Auld Lang Syne," but I think old acquaintances should not be forgotten. In fact, I am excited about having a chill New Years with some old college friends coming into town! I am anticipating a magnificent 2012 soon! Happy New Year! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers