December 20, 2011

Long overdue updates, Christmas cheer, and reunions.

Wow, it has been a while. Truthfully, I've been putting off writing another post for a while now. Not because I don't want to, but I did not know how to truly encompass what has happened in the past 2 or so months into words. It has been like the Diamondback roller coaster at Kings Island. There have been some major drops, turns, and spins, but I've learned that everything is going to be great in the end. Here's a recap on recent life happenings:

School:
  • I've learned a lot through these observations. Most of all, I've learned that my personal and professional identity is not in what evaluators say about me. It's about the overwhelming passion and love God has given me to teach.
  • I work with some of the most hard-working and genuine people in my grade level. They are amazing. I've learned so much through their expertise, funny moments, and successes.
  • It's easy to get into ruts and hit walls when you keep going and going like the Energizer bunny. I've (tried to) force myself to leave school by 4:30 everyday because 1) it gets dark by then and 2) I need to remind myself things will get done. Indeed, everything gets done in its time.
  • Organization, consistency, and prioritizing are still keys to my teacher and classroom management.

Christmas gifts from my sweet kids.

Friends/family:

  • I love having a life outside of school. I have gotten really close with some of my teacher friends, which includes some weekly dinners, shopping trips, and fun trips to Nashville.Link
  • My brother is growing up too fast. I love how he freaks out every time I mention how his teacher and I will give him double homework one day. :)
  • This past weekend was been amazing! I caught up with some old friends I went to college with. It's amazing how quickly time flies, yet at the same time nothing has changed when we get together. I also ran randomly into a dear and inspiring friend, Chelsey, who I had not seen since July. Her story of Haiti is phenomenal.
Opryland Hotel with Amber
  • I am very thankful for my teacher friends, not just for the weekly venting and therapy sessions that only teachers would understand, but for their sweet friendship as well. I work with some truly amazing women both in and outside of school.

Myself:

  • Currently I'm hopped up on meds for this 3+ weeks cough. This has made me really think about how I don't nearly make enough time for myself than I should. It's said that it takes a real good sickness to get someone thinking about what it truly means to take care of oneself mentally, physically, and emotionally.
  • I need to get back into working out. For reals. Need to sign up for a 5k ASAP.
  • My Pinterest addiction has expanded. This winter break has only made it bigger and better. I've reorganized my boards. It's awesome. Yes, I know one day I'll be burned out on Pinterest, but I don't predict that to be soon!

Pinterest crafts for my classroom!

Other:

  • I'm falling more and more in love with Nashville. Seriously, I don't think I enjoyed this city quite as much when I was a kid/teenager. I love going to Predators games, trying out new restaurants, and exploring cute shops.

New favorite spectator sport: Hockey! Go Preds :)

  • The new year is ALMOST here, which makes me realize I need to do more things on my 101 in 1001 list.
  • I will ring in the new year with the photo project (a photo a day for a year). A great idea I was inspired to take on by a dear friend who did it for 2011.
  • I need to get back into memorizing Scripture. No excuse there.

My prayers and hope for you this holiday season is for you to remember the reason for the season. I hope you get to enjoy it with family & friends. Sleep. Be lazy. Take up an old hobby. Pinterest for some inspiration. Get back into reading. Get back on the treadmill. Call that old friend you've been meaning to catch up with. Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers