June 13, 2012

Cut it out & run on.

So, plan and simple this post is about being a healthier person. I've had my fair share of "episodes" of failed attempts to get in some exercise or not eat fast food for a week. Sure, I was thinking this is a great idea...but it only went so far and stopped. I only went so far and stopped. 
Well, there's no stopping me this time. It's summer so there's no reason for me to not have the time to devote to being healthy by 1) eating better, 2) exercising daily, and 3) getting at least 7 hours of sleep each night.

Why the blog post about this? People every day make that decision to stop eating unhealthy, overly sugared/processed/fried/fatty foods all the time. People can decide that this one day is the start of a new fitness challenge. I've been there...temporarily. And so have many other people. Have you ever thought "I'm going to change today and be healthier/exercise more," was focused on that goal for 2 weeks or 2 months, and then went back to old habits? Yes, me too. 

So being the list person that I am, here are reasons I want to cut some things out of my life and run on:
  • I always like a new challenge. 
  • "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." -1 Corinthians 6:19-20. This verse is one I've seen many times, but I want to think about this every day.
  • My kids. Not my particular kids I had this year, but rather kids in general I have had/will have in my class. Teachers, parents, pop culture celebrities, presidents, and other adults can all influence children. Not all these influences are positive. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that many kids look up to their teachers. Not because they're taught to or because their parents say so. Rather, I think it's instinctive for kids to admire their teachers. With all the messages about having kids play for at least 30 minutes a day, no soda, no junk food, being outside versus being in front of a TV with cable, I want my kids to see that there is a lot of good that can come out of choosing healthy food and being active. Case in point: my mentor teacher from last year ran a half marathon. She had been training all school year for her HM in March. During that time, she used the example of her training in teaching her students anything from content to messages about not giving up. The effect-- her kids asked her questions about her training, how often she runs, how they want to start running...! How amazing would it be to teach kids an important lesson about being healthy by modeling it in your own life!
  • I'm not a broke college student anymore. I cannot and WILL NOT use the following excuses:
    • no money to buy fresh food
    • no time to cook up a great meal
    • studying > eating healthy
    • fast food joints are affordable and close by
  • I love Shay Carl. If you don't know him, he's a successful and hilarious You Tuber who makes videos with his family. He's lost 115 pounds, ran 2 marathons, and does things to keep himself active because he knows it makes him feel good. I was ecstatic to see him cross the finish line of his second marathon in Nashville in April! Seeing how far he's come is amazing! Please go look up Shay 3 years ago and Shay today. His positivity and dedication is remarkable.

What to cut it out:
  • Having a plan for every day. It's summer, you don't have to work! This is your vacation time! Relax and write "whatever comes to mind" on your agenda.
  • Junk food: sweets, candy, chocolate, ice cream, desserts, chips, queso, etc...you know. I like to call them my go-to stress food.
  • Fast food: McDonald's, Sonic, Taco Bell...you made me feel good, but you're no good for me. So bye. 
  • Over-processed food. Especially food with more than 5 ingredients. 
  • Buying clothes. After organizing my new closet, there's no reason for more right now. Been good for 2 months!
What to run on:
  • It's been a LOOONG time since I've ran. Not like running five yards in the parking lot because it's pouring. No, I mean truly running to exercise. I have a fear of running because of a fear of failure. I'm afraid I won't work up to my true momentum when it comes to running. I'm afraid I'll quit after a couple tries. But I've gradually worked it up. First it was running on the treadmill. Accomplished. Running outside in my neighborhood. Accomplished. Running in a greenway or park. Accomplished. Running at least 5 minutes without stopping? Working on it. 
  • Hopefully running a 5k in the next few months.
  • Planning for the upcoming school year. For all those school days that I've thought to myself, "if only I had time to do this," here's my chance. 
  • Trying restaurants with healthy menu options. 
  • Eating fresh & natural food.

 Spinach spring mix, organic tomatoes, fresh blueberries, and Annie's organic Lite Raspberry dressing!
  • Being more involved in my church. Hopefully more to come on this! 

Is there a chance this won't last? Sure! I was recently inspired by Shay Carl who says that it's really all in your head. If you see the goal in your mind you can do it. Be positive but also be realistic. You know you can. You know it'll be hard as anything, but you can. Shay and Nike couldn't have said it better! I'll leave you with this amazing video of Shay running his first marathon (FF to 16:30).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers